"...great joy which will be to all people."

Luke 2:10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people."

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Transitioning Kids (Part 3: My First Baby)

I chose to blog about Sophie because tomorrow she turns 13!  Our oldest child will be a teenager and that is a hard milestone to grasp!  Lately I have been thinking back to those early days when she just came home from the hospital.  Jack was at work and it was just the two of us at home most days.  We rocked, we sang, we snuggled.  As time goes by, we do less and less of those things.  On the one hand it makes me sad and I miss those special times and on the other hand it's a privilege to see her grow into an amazing young lady.

An amazing young lady who is completely honest.  She told me I wear "mommy jeans" the other day.  Sigh.  Am I really THAT mom?  She softened the blow by assuring me I am not the "uncoolest" mom out there.  Thanks.  I guess?

So how has Sophie transitioned?  For sure, she has changed the most in the past 90 days.  My beautiful young lady has blossomed here in Guatemala.  She quickly made friends at school (girls AND boys!) and has gained an abundant amount of confidence in social situations.  She smiles and laughs and it brightens my day when she comes home from school and shares stories with me.

A few weeks after we arrived, Sophie came to us with a plan.  She wanted to work with Joseph one hour a day after school (five days) in exchange for 10Q a week.  That's the equivalent of approximately $1.30 in US dollars.  SIDE NOTE:  Please do not send me messages about child labor.  We call this labor of love.  End of story.

This girl has a heart for special needs kids.  I don't know if she (or any of us) knew it before we adopted Joseph but it is clear to all of us now.  She is patient and loving when most would want to give up.  She works with him on sensory and speech and sings to him when he needs to be calmed.  God has given her a gift.

I hope the world will one day see what I see in this amazing girl.  I hope SHE will one day see what I see in her.  I see beauty, I see love, I see tenderheartedness, I see acceptance and I see strength.



Always willing to help her younger brothers!





Always thinking, that's my Sophie-girl.  This pic was taken on the way to help build a house in a nearby village with a mission team.  





Ava Mae adores Sophie.  She is always giving her hugs.




Here we are in Guatemala City.  Sophie offered to go on the Merry-Go-Round with Jude because he was scared.  Compassionate soul. 







ANOTHER SIDE NOTE:  Do all kids dislike having their picture taken upon turning 13?  It was very difficult to find pictures of her because she doesn't like to have them taken!  Does this end?  I sure hope so because I really want to capture these special moments with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment