"...great joy which will be to all people."

Luke 2:10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people."

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Home and Hope

Two weeks ago, Jack came home and informed me I would take his place the following day and make home visits with Luis, who is a pastor at IDC.  He didn't ask me.  He informed me.  I pleaded with him not to go.  He was so adamant that I needed to go to the pre-home visits.  I knew what the NEW homes looked like. I have seen the smiles on the faces AFTER the home was built but I never saw how the families were living BEFORE they received a new home.  Rarely is Jack so passionate about me doing something, so I knew I had to go.  Reluctantly, I went. 

The following morning, Luis and I went to Pastores, a local village.  First, we stopped at the municipal building and picked up Cesar.  He is a kind man who works for the village of Pastores as a social worker.  Luis and Cesar explained to me that prior to the home visits, Cesar makes a preliminary visit with the families to make sure they own the land, etc.  He has a long list of people who have a great need for better living conditions.

After driving through Pastores, we drove up a steep hill, found parking for the van and started a short walk up a steep hill to visit our first family.  Waiting outside the dilapidated tin door,  I thought I would walk inside of a home but instead I walked into a small commune.  Multiple homes made of various materials, such as lamina, cardboard, brick, and metal all scattered about in this small familial community.  In Guatemala, when a couple marries, they often stay on the same plot of land with their family.  Rarely do they move away.  They share food, washing, child care and most of the typical responsibilities of caring for the property.  
 
After introducing ourselves, Luis asked a series of questions to assess which type of home and stove would best fit the family, as well as medical, spiritual, and mental health questions.  Next Luis presented the Gospel in Spanish. 

A few hours later, we had successfully visited 5 homes.  Every home we visited was similar.  Extreme poverty.  Homes barely standing.  Walls disintegrating.  Most homes have one double bed, which sleeps 4-8 people.  And a lot of sickness.  Diabetes, TB, intestinal, and malnourishment, among other afflictions, are too common here.  Needless to say, I was speechless with a burdened heart.

After a full day of pre-home visits, Luis and Jack typically go back over their notes, assess the situations and prioritize the list base on the severity of the families' needs.  That's a job I don't envy. The need is just so severe.  

When I first got in the car, Luis asked me if I was an emotional person.  He asked if I was going to cry when I saw the destitute homes.  I held myself together well until he presented the Gospel in Spanish.  Reading Scripture in Spanish and praying in Spanish, that just overwhelms me with joy.  Yes, this ministry offers hope through a home.  But they are also hearing about the only One who can really offer Hope.  And that brings me to tears.  
















No comments:

Post a Comment