"...great joy which will be to all people."

Luke 2:10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people."

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Pupusa Lesson

Okay, so I enjoy food.  Jack enjoys food.  The kids enjoy food.  There is little we won't eat.  Aside from Pearl, who oddly enough is the only Guatemalteca in our house, we all absolutely LOVE Guatemalan food.  

I have a dear friend named Patsy, who I tutor English to three mornings a week.  She and her husband, Joaquin, work at the church.  They were born and raised in El Salvador but moved to Guatemala nine years ago. 

When I expressed my appreciation for local food, she insisted on teaching me how to make a pupusa, which is a street food found in our area.  Patsy quickly informed me pupusas are originally from El Salvador.  According to her, Salvadoran pupusas are MUCH better than Guatemalan pupusas. 



In this picture, Pasty is teaching Sophie and Ava Mae how to nestle the meat, cheese and beans into the dough ball.





 Pictured from left to right:  Sophie, Pasty, me, Annabelle, and our friend, Carol.




Pupusas take a while to make.  Teaching someone to make pupusas takes patience.  I am amazed at the prep time that goes into it.  Forming the dough ball is an art, which Patsy has clearly mastered.  We had such a wonderful time, laughing and giggling.  And I agree with Pasty, Salvadoran pupusas are the best!  


No comments:

Post a Comment